Guoman Thistle City Barbican Hotel
Asbestech was selected by the client after a vigorous tender and post tender presentation process to carry out urgent asbestos remedial work to the sixth floor of one its most prestigious hotels in central London.
Appointed under a JCT Design & Build 2011 contract our scope of works consisted of:
- To remove, under fully controlled conditions, sprayed coating overspray residues from all surfaces in the ceiling voids followed by encapsulation and sealing of all remaining sprayed coatings, pipe insulation and A.I.B. fire breaks.
- Installation of fixed timber battens in the ceiling voids.
- Reinstatement of plasterboard ceilings including new lighting and a fire alarm system throughout the sixth floor followed by a full redecoration.
Working closely with the Hotels construction and asbestos consultants and as Principal Contractor; Asbestech had a six week period to complete the works in full so the hotel could return to occupancy on that floor.
As the remaining floors of the hotel were occupied during our work, discretion was needed so as not to alarm any of the hotels guests. Efficient project design was key as was the ability to work under pressure as the project duration was very tight and indeed the shift times were limited so the hotels daily operation was not impacted during the work. This required constant monitoring of our progress against predetermined milestones with immediate corrective actions put into place when required.
Good communication and Relationship Management skills were key attributes needed on the project to ensure that Hotel staff were kept up to date on our activities so that they could provide assistance to us at a local level when required. Good planning skills and attention to detail were also required as we managed up to 35 members of staff on site plus subcontractors.
The project was delivered safely; with no reportable accidents/injuries/ near misses, on budget and on time.
- CLIENT Guoman Thistle City Barbican Hotel
- Value£445,000.00 (one off)